Beef cooked with spices and then stir-fried with coconut slices and curry leaves. This Kerala style beef fry / Beef Ularthiyathu is an easy and delicious appetizer or a great side-dish with rice. Beef Varattiyathu is one of the favorite dishes of Malayalees. An excellent touching for alcohol too 🙂 Check out Kerala Pork Fry recipe here.
Check out other Kerala beef dishes:
Beef Fry - Kerala style Beef Ularthiyathu with Thenga Kothu
- 1/2 Kilogram beef
- 1 Cup Shallots / Small onion
- 1 Tablespoons ginger (Crushed)
- 1 Tablespoons garlic (Crushed)
- 7 Dried Red Chilli
- 1/2 Teaspoons turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoons coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon pepper Powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons garam masala
- 2 Teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¾ Cup Thengakothu (Small square size coconut pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- Crush dried red chilli. Cut beef into 1.5" cube pieces. Marinate cleaned beef pieces with ingredients listed under marination. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to this and pressure cook till the beef is done. Usually it would be done in 2 whistles. ** Don't overcook.
- If there is excess water, cook till the water has almost dried up.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry coconut pieces until it becomes golden brown color. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add lots of curry leaves and fry it.
- Add cooked beef and fried coconut pieces to it.
- Stir it well. Cook on low flame for around 15 - 20 minutes. If required, add oil in between. Stir it until it becomes black in color.